Upcoming Calls for Artists
September 2017 Call for Artists
Artists are invited to participate in the Annual September Mint Hill Arts Water Media Judged Show. This particular show does not have a set theme, so your imagination is your only limitation!
Water Media Criteria
Water media works only. Please note that water media is the general term for media that are distinguished from oil or other media by being diluted with water when used, i.e., watercolor, gouache, ink, casein, egg tempera, acrylic. It is sometimes combined with other media, commonly collage. Further, the piece must be painted on watercolor paper, watercolor board, or synthetic paper (i.e. Yupo). No canvas is allowed. Watercolor crayon, watercolor pastel, and watercolor pencil are allowed if used in a water-soluble manner (i.e. the majority of lines and shading dissolved).
1st prize – $100
2nd prize – $75
3rd prize – $50
MHA Members: $10 for up to 2 pieces.
Non-members: $30 for up to 2 pieces.
Please pay attention to your sizes. Due to limited wall and floor space, no exceptions can be made for oversize artwork.
- 2-D work cannot exceed 60″ x 60″ vertically or horizontally.
- 3-D work cannot exceed a 36″ footprint x 7′ in height. It must fit through the door, be easily transportable, and be displayed appropriately. Please note that if 3-D work is submitted, it must comply with the above Water Media description.
- Each artist may enter up to 2 individual pieces.
- All work must be original. Prints, including giclées are not allowed. Reproductions of work done by other artists will be disqualified.
- All 2-D artwork must be properly framed and wired (see website for more information). If your 2-D work does not require a frame, hanging must be thought out so it is ready to be displayed. Please try to avoid using poor quality frames (we’ve had artwork fall and break due to this).
- All artists must fill out our Gallery Registration Form and affix our Intake Labels. See the MHA website for more information and links to these forms. It will save you time at Intake to print them, fill them out and bring them in with your artwork, but they will be available at Intake for those who choose to fill them out in the gallery.
- Mint Hill Arts accepts all artwork but reserves the right to turn down any artwork that it deems as inappropriate, unsafe for public display or too difficult to install.
- Entering artists must be 18 years old or have written permission from a parent/guardian.
- All artwork must remain in the show until its closing unless it is sold, in which case it can be taken from the gallery at the time of the sale. If you have an emergency and must remove your artwork, you must notify Mint Hill Arts and make arrangements accordingly.
Friday, August 25th from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. and
Saturday, August 26th, from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Mint Hills Arts Gallery
11205 Lawyers Rd, Ste. A, Mint Hill, NC 28227
Phone – 980.226.5532
Pickup will be Friday September 29th from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. and
Saturday, September 30th from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
The Water Media Opening Reception will take place on Friday, September 1st from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. Awards are typically presented between 7:45 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Members and non-members alike are invited to enjoy free wine, soft drinks, and appetizers.